The mission of Lassen WORKS and Community Social Services is to serve individuals, families, and communities of Lassen County in the following ways:

  • Employing a team of professional, knowledgeable, and courteous staff;
  • Offering quality confidential services in a responsible, timely, and compassionate manner;
  • Providing a safe place dedicated to building trust and reducing fears;
  • Working together to help people reach their life goals and achieve personal success.

Service Outside of Business Hours

Regular business hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday, except holidays.

To register for Food Stamps, Cash Assistance or Medical online, please go to:

BenefitsCal ® is an online application system that allows you to apply for benefits.

You can also:

Create an Account Check Messages
View Forms Check Benefits
View Things To Do Open Saved Applications

Lassen WORKS & Community Social Services strives to provide easy access to services. If you cannot come into the office to keep an appointment or to make an application, arrangements for appointments outside regular business hours, by phone, or at other locations may be made by calling your caseworker or the main line at (530) 251-8152. Because most public assistance programs require face-to-face contact, you must have a compelling reason to request this special accommodation, such as employment, disability, or severe weather conditions.


  • Jayson Vial - Director of Community Social Services
  • Tina Kennemore - Adult Services Program Manager
  • Lisa Chandler - Child and Family Services Program Manager
  • Yvonne Hawkes - LassenWORKs Program Manager


BenefitsCal - Access to Benifits. Simplified

Refugee Cash Assistance

RCA is a cash assistance program for refugees who are not otherwise eligible for any other cash aid.  RCA also includes employment and other social services to assist a refugee in becoming self-sufficient. 

Populations that could be eligible for the RCA includes:  

  • Refugees 
  • Asylees 
  • Cuban/Haitian entrants 
  • Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders 
  • Afghan and Ukrainian Parolees 
  • Amerasians; AND 
  • Certified Victims of Human Trafficking.

RCA is available for up to 12 months from date of admission to the U.S. in qualifying status, date of final grant of asylum or date of certification by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) as Victim of Trafficking. 


How to Apply or Submit Documents for RCA:

Online at – select Cash Aid

By phone: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM at (530) 251-8152

In person: LassenWORKs 1616 Chestnut Street, Susanville, CA 96130


The Trafficking and Crime Victims Assistance Program (TCVAP) 

TCVAP provides critical benefits and services to non-citizen victims of human trafficking prior to receiving certification by ORR.


Eligibility for state-funded benefits and services are extended to trafficking victims who:

  1. Can make a sworn statement or have documentation showing that they are a victim of human trafficking; and
  2. Meet the income and resource limitations; and
  3. Have submitted, or are preparing to submit an application for a T-Visa to USCIS; have continued presence; or are otherwise taking steps to meet the eligibility conditions for federal benefits.


TCVAP also provides critical benefits and services to non-citizen victims of domestic violence and other serious crimes who:

1) Have filed for or been granted a U-Visa from USCIS; and

2) Meet the income and resource limitations.


State-funded benefits and services are equivalent to federally-funded benefits available to refugees and certified trafficking victims. Victims are required to meet all income, resource, and other program eligibility requirements.

Non-citizen victims of crime and their eligible family members in the TCVAP are eligible for benefits and services to the same extent as refugees.


How to Apply or Submit Documents for RCA:

Online at – select Cash Aid

By phone: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM at (530) 251-8152

In person: LassenWORKs 1616 Chestnut Street, Susanville, CA 96130




Medical Care

California Department of Health Care Services (
How to apply for Medi-Cal (
CMSP-County Medical Services Program (
CHDP-Child Health & Disability Prevention (

Food and Nutrition

USDA Food & Nutrition Service (FNS) (
WIC-Women, Infants, & Children (
Food Stamp program information (

Cash Aid

California Department of Social Services (
CalWORKs and other cash aid program regulations (


California Department or Child Support Services (
Child Support payment information (
Local domestic violence services (
National domestic violence hotline (
Mental Health services (
2008 Federal Poverty Guidelines (